Earlier in Life

My mom and dad had bigger dreams but were not in the right environment for that dream to come true. One of those dreams was to start a family in a better place. My mom was from Zacatecas, while my dad was from Yuriria. They met at Georgia when my mom was visiting her sister and her boyfriend, who was friends with my dad. They fell in love and got married at Saint Pancratius roman church. 


Saint Pancratius Roman Church (Picture by: Unknown)

Before getting married they had my brother, Brandon. Who went to Shields Elementary School for a while. And then when I was born, I was supposed to go there too but I refused to go and cried on my first day of preschool. My parents decided not to try and force me to go and had me watching educational videos at home.  


Shields Elementary School (Picture from Shields Elementary website)

We first lived in a small apartment building on Mozart Street. My uncle lived on the top floor, a family friend on the 3rd floor, we were on the 2nd floor and my grandma on the 1st floor. When I was 5 years old, my dad got a better job at Ruiz Realty and we moved to a house, that we had all to ourselves. Both my brother and I had to start going to school at Burroughs Elementary. I still cried when I started but my parents didn’t let it slide again. 


Burroughs Elementary School (Picture from school website) 

Burroughs is where I found my love for basketball. In middle school, a friend of mine forced me to join and I am thankful for that. I was known as one of the main shooters and passers. I would be in the game to make sure to pass the ball to someone who has a clear shot or when they help me get open, I shoot. I mostly played in Mckinley Park, that’s where our games were planned. When I went to Kelly High School, even if I wasn’t in the basketball team, I would go play in the basketball court on weekends at Mckinley. 


Mckinley Statue in Mckinley Park (Picture by: Unknown)

In Kelly is where I discovered the theater.  I was in the class and found that the Theater program was a part of After School Matters (ASM) which pays you to be working in the drama program. There I learned how to work with others and practiced time management and organization skills. It was nice to make my own money and learn how to save and spend wisely. I also made some amazing friends that are still with me today.  


After School Matters logo from website

  

Comments

Popular Posts